(1) "Whenever a man does a thoroughly stupid thing, it is always from the noblest motives."
(2) "Ambition is the last refuge of the failure."
(3) "It is always the unreadable that occurs."
Bear these words of wisdom in mind as we enter the realm of Brad Ziegler. (El Angelo)
I have a cast-iron defense for that move, which I will spring upon an unsuspecting world below. (Teddy)
The Fighting Isaiahs
- Signed Xavier Nady, OF, New York (AL); Released Jose Guillen, OF, Kansas City [7/30]
- Signed Annibal Sanchez, SP, Florida; Released Randy Wolf, SP, Houston [7/31]
I admire the attempt to wring some value out of Annibal Sanchez during this lull between his already completed first Tommy John surgery, and his almost inevitable second Tommy John surgery. (Teddy)
Le Dupont Torkies
- Signed Jeff Samardzja, RP, Chicago (NL); Released Jonathan Sanchez, SP, San Fran [8/1]
- Signed Randy Winn, OF, San Fran, Bartolo Colon, SP, Boston and Adam Hoffman LaRoche, 1B, Pittsburgh; Released Glenn Perkins, SP, Minnesota and Carlos Gomez, OF, Minnesota [8/5]
I don't mind the Colon pickup--reports out of Pawtucket indicate that he has been eating off of flat ground for two weeks, and will begin eating off a mound within a week. Just as soon as he kills and eats Julio Lugo during his rehab assignment, he can claim the resulting roster slot. (Teddy)
It's Enrico Palazzo
- Signed Kyle Farnsworth, RP, Detroit; Released Bartolo Colon, SP, Boston [7/30]
- Signed Aaron Heilman, "RP", New York (NL); Released Greg Smith, SP, Oakland and Jason Kubel, OF, Minnesota [8/7]
For his sake, and the sake of the hardworking men and women of the FCC, I pray that new Met reliever Eddie Kunz is effective with the big club. Can you imagine the chants at Shea if Kunz fails? Yikes. (Teddy)
54◦40’ or Fight!
- Signed Andy LaRoche, 3B, Pittsburgh, Justin Speier, RP, Anaheim and Scot Shields, RP, Anaheim; Released Chad Gaudin, RP, Philly, Micah Owings, SP, Arizona and Ryan Zimmerman, 3B, Washington [7/31]
- Signed Adam Lind, OF, Toronto; Released Michael Bourn, OF, Houston [8/1]
- Re-signed Zimmerman; Released Jeff Francouer, OF, Atlanta [8/4]
- Traded Adam Jones, OF, Baltimore to Frank the Tank for Pedro Martinez, SP, New York (NL) [8/5]
- Traded Howie Kendrick, 2B, Anaheim and their 8th round selection in the 2009 draft to Christmas Critters for Pat Neshek, RP, Minnesota and their 6th round selection in the 2009 draft [8/6]
Everyone I've read is still high on Andy LaRoche, so assuming that's not a promotion fmor your callup list, I like the signing. As for the Kendrick deal, while I don't mind it, this year's draft is going to have to be significantly deeper than last year's for the pick upgrade to matter. (Teddy)
- Released Ryan Franklin, RP, St. Louis [8/2]
- Signed Eddie Guardado, RP, Texas; Release Jerry Hairston, Jack of All Trades, Cincy [8/5]
- Traded Edinson Volquez, SP, Cincy and their 2nd round selection in the 2009 draft to Frank the Tank for Danny Haren, SP, Arizona and their 5th round selection in the 2009 draft [8/6]
- Traded Pat Neshek, RP, Minnesota, and their 6th round selection in the 2009 draft to 54'50 or Fight! for Howie Kendrick, 2B, Anaheim and their 8th round selection in the 2009 draft [8/6]
Concur. Boring but true. (Teddy)
- Signed Brad Ziegler, RP, Oakland; Released Andruw Jones, OF, Atlanta [8/1]
And now for the promised defense of Brad Ziegler, whom I signed for two reasons. First, Ziegler has thrown 34 consecutive scoreless innings since being called up by Oakland. Second, and more importantly, I greatly admired Ziegler's work on 90210, and wanted to honor him accordingly. (Teddy)
Frank the Tank
- Traded Danny Haren, SP, Arizona and their 5th round pick in the 2009 draft to Christmas Critters for Edinson Volquez, SP, Cincy and their 2nd round pick in the 2009 draft [8/5]
- Signed Willie Bloomquist, 2B, Seattle; Released Mark Ellis, 2B, Oakland [8/6]
- Traded Pedro Martinez, SP, New York (NL) to 54'50 or Fight! for Adam Jones, OF, Seattle [8/6]
Not so fast, my friend. The valuation on this deal depends on where you see Volquez's floor after the bubble bursts, and what the team does with the additional keeper slots. being after the bubble bursts. If Volquez drops back into the pack of mid-range fantasy starters that tend to go around rounds 4-8 in our league, you're trading Haren for a 3-round draft upgrade, and some additional roster flexibility that only matters if there are enough other keepers on the roster for it to matter. If the two additional keeper slots are used on studs, great. If they get used on downballot keeper types, maybe the value there isn't that great.
Looking at the Tank's roster (admittedly, without the benefit of a contract chart in front of me), I'm not certain that there was really a keeper logjam that needed to be broken. But part of my skepticism here is based on my worry that Volquez will have a hard time keeping up his value in that terrible park in Cincy. But of course, I've been wrong before (see Jones, Andruw above)
- Signed Raul Ibanez, OF, Seattle; Released Aaron Rowand, OF, San Fran [7/28]
- Signed Paul Maholm, SP, Pittsburgh; Released Randy Winn, OF, San Fran [7/31]
The idea that Aaron Rowand and Randy Winn were both on a single fantasy roster fills me with dread and sorrow. I'm not emotionally equipped to handle that combination, and so will sign off here. (Teddy)