Thursday, October 21, 2010

Breeders Cup Warmup: the 1993 Classic

What would a review of Breeders Cup races be without one of the biggest upsets in racing history? Here's a look at the entrants in the 1993 Classic by name, jockey, and post time odds.

No.

Horse

Jockey

Odds





1

Marquetry

K. Desormeaux

6-5

1a

Missionary Ridge

E. Delahoussaye


1x

Bertrando

G. Stevens


2

Ezzoud

W. Swinburn

105-1

3

Pleasant Tango

A. Solis

74-1

4

Best Pal

C. Black

9-5

5

Kissin Kris

P. Day

6-1

6

Wallenda

W. McCauley

32-1

7

Devil His Due

M. Smith

20-1

8

Colonial Affair

J. Santos

15-1

9

Diazo

L. Pincay

23-1

10

Arcangues

J. Bailey

133-1

11

Miner’s Mark

C. McCarron

19-1



Yes, that's the same Bertrando that ran second to Arazi in the 1991 Juvenile. Here's what happened two years later.




Jockey Jerry Bailey on Arcangues after the race:

"I didn't even talk to [trainer Andre] Fabre until I was already on the horse in the walking ring today. The groom was trying to tell me something, and he spoke French and I don't, so I really didn't know. I mean, I couldn't understand my instructions in the paddock. My knowledge of French is, 'Oui, oui.' Thank you is a universal language, so I said that a few times. They were very nice people and gracious. All Fabre really told me when I was walking out of the ring was don't override him in the beginning."

The man's in the Hall of Fame for a reason.

No comments: